JOB/POSITION TITLE: Special Event Manager
Reports to: Chief Development Officer (CDO)
Supervises: External Events Specialist and Special Events Coordinator
Classification: Full-time; Exempt
The Manager, Special Events is responsible for working with the Chief Development Officer in the strategic development and implementation of all signature events for Make-A-Wish Central and Western North Carolina, including but not limited to Wish Ball, Kentucky Derby Classic, Trailblaze Challenge, Wake Up for Wishes, World Wish Day and W.I.S.H. Society Luncheons. This position will contribute to the creation of meaningful and impactful events that garner press and brand awareness, foster strong community relations, increase revenue, donor loyalty and acquire new supporters to mission.
The Manager must be able to demonstrate internal team leadership while employing an entrepreneurial, collaborative and results-oriented approach to lead and drive the production of high-quality events that advance our brand, donor involvement, cultivation and stewardship.
With a strong focus on execution as well as innovation, this position is responsible for ensuring successful event execution, including logistical preparation, vendor management, awards, presentations, speaker coordination, auction management, scripting and video production, data-entry, and any other tasks needed to make our events and partnerships successful.
This job requires a dynamic, motivated, energetic, and personable individual with a go-getter attitude and a drive to meet and exceed budgetary fundraising goals as a team.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with the development of concepts, themes and formats for major events for the organization that engage supporters, increase brand awareness and grow revenue.
- Provides oversight of the Special Events Coordinator to maximize productivity and efficiency.
- Provides expertise to staff in the planning and execution of non-signature events.
- Negotiates with venues, consultants and vendors to secure rates that enhance budgets.
- Manages consultants and vendors prior to and during the event to ensure flawless efficiency.
- Develops budgets and oversees financial reporting to internal departments and external agencies.
- Develops content for event correspondence, collateral materials, social media and web in collaboration with Marketing and Communications department.
- Oversees the post-event coordination including but not limited to debrief meetings, recognition to key constituents, financial reporting and data transfer.
- Supports cross-functional internal teams with the stewardship of host committees to secure members, sponsorships, and in-kind gifts.
- Informs and updates staff members and other involved parties throughout the event cycle.
- Manages internal and external event volunteers on the day of the event.
- Performs additional duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Collecting and organizing attendee and participant information pre-event utilizing OneCause, TeamRaiser, and other platforms.
In-Kind Donation & Auction Management
- Oversees all details of the silent and/or live auctions.
- Assistance with in-kind donor solicitation and strategy. This includes prospecting of new donors as well as filtering through past donors to build master prospect list for auction items, goods, and services for events.
- Creates multi-event asks and proposals when appropriate.
- Processing of donated items once received, including data entry, tracking, and organization.
- Serves as liaison for all vendors and partners for internal events.
- Cultivate and solicit in-kind donations for events. Identify needs of the chapter and determine how we could be more strategic with asks to ensure we are receiving the most from the partnership. Whenever possible create multi-event asks.
Marketing and Communications Collaboration:
- Facebook event management for all internal events ensuring that sponsors are properly thanked, a variety of posts are created are visually appealing, and ensuring that posts are engaging to participants and attendees.
- Event website management for all internal events
- E-mail creation and scheduling for internal events that follows the timeline and e-mail plan that the Development team have created.
- Serve as a liaison for vendors and partners pre-event, day-of, and post-event.
- Works with Volunteer Coordinator for event to ensure appropriate number of volunteers are recruited and job descriptions are updated.
Manages Special Events Coordinator who:
- Executes logistics for aspects of special events as assigned.
- An understanding of charitable giving legal guidelines, specifically as it relates to fundraising events.
- Prior supervisor experience and strong leadership skills.
- The flexibility to work early mornings, late evenings and occasional weekends due to the nature of our events.
- Excellent relationship management and interpersonal skills: the ability to work effectively with donors, volunteers and staff; display superior judgment and diplomatic skills; excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Proven strong negotiating skills.
- Enthusiasm, commitment to excellence, self-motivation, a professional demeanor, is highly organized and detail oriented.
- The ability to handle multiple tasks with organization and accuracy.
- A collaborative, team-oriented attitude.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), internet research and strong knowledge of social media.
- Experience working with databases.
- Bachelor’s Degree. 3-5 years’ experience in managing events or fundraising activities.
- Demonstrated successful management experience of at least three large events (300+ guests).
Must be able to lift or carry a minimum of 40 pounds
- Valid driver's license and reliable vehicle
Email resume, cover letter (stating the position you're applying) and salary requirements to email@example.com by August 2, 2019. Please add position applying for in SUBJECT line of email.
NO PHONE CALLS OR EMAILS, PLEASE!